Monday 22 October 2012

Quiet Book: Horse

Well, the pages on our animal quiet book are getting more and more complex.

Like the cat, the Horse was made out of a few different fabrics:


The horse is on green because the next animal when the pages are in order is the green frog, but in reality, I did them by complexity, not in order.

The horse is made from a pair of old overalls that had a defective snap -- the metal poked through and was sharp. Not even good enough to donate, but I've enjoyed having denim I don't mind cutting up. I decided to keep the belt loops for added interest. The main and tail are from some light blue faux fur (lucky I had that bizarre item on hand). 

The steps for the horse were:
1 cut shape of the body and legs out of felt
2 cut the denim and faux fur a little bigger than needed and sew those together to make a fur-denim-fur “sandwich”
3 sew the denim and fur to the underside of the felt (again, I top stitched on the felt)
4 sew the felt legs, head and hooves on. I did a straight stitch and they aren’t as poofy as the frog legs.
5 sew on little blue scrap on the face
6 make white French knot teeth
7 sew on eye beads

I really like how the horse face turned out. I wish I felt that confident about all of the animals.

Given the number of beads, you may not want to let a young child play with a book like this unattended.

No comments:

Post a Comment