Friday 12 October 2012

Quiet Book: Dog

One of the next pages in the animal-texture quiet book was the white dog:
Again, this was one of the easier ones to make because most of the dog is one texture. The dog's body is a stretched out wash cloth. Like I said before, I was using this project to practice sewing curves and create a texture toy for Little J while using up scraps. Gotta love upcycling, right?

The dog was pretty straight-forward:
1 cut the main body shape out of the black felt. I didn't cut out 2 legs because in the book these are copied from those legs were in shadow and kind of grey.
2a sew white material to felt from the back, top stitching on the felt.
2b slide in red ribbon with bell or other item when you get to the neck. I went back-and-forth a few times on the ribbon to make it secure, but I wish I had used a wider ribbon so I would have had more stitches.
3 sew on legs, eye-spot, tongue, nose and ear felt
4 make teeth with white embroidery floss French knots.

A really nice thing about this project, that I haven't mentioned before, is that by putting the different textured materials behind or under the felt opening, you don't need to worry about fraying. The felt won't fray and you never see the edges of the texture material anyway.

The white dog wasn't on black to make him show up better, but really because the next page was the black sheep so we could "read" ahead what the white dog was seeing.

Given the number of beads, you may not want to let a young child play with a book like this unattended.

No comments:

Post a Comment